The SketchUp application has become very popular because of its ease of use and ability to create 3D models that are eye-appealing. It is a great tool to use if you are trying to create a 3D model of your home or any building you are interested in.
This article is meant to help you understand the basic functions of SketchUp and give you an idea of how to use SketchUp to create a 3D model of your home.
Step 1: Getting Started
The first thing you will need to do is go to SketchUp's website and download the software. SketchUp is a free application and is downloaded in the form of a .dmg file.
If you are using a Mac follow the following steps to get SketchUp on your computer:
- Open Finder
- Click Applications
- Click the Utilities folder
- Double-click the Installer application
- Double-click the SketchUp download file
- Follow the onscreen instructions
Once you have SketchUp on your computer you will need to open it and follow the onscreen instructions to get started.
Step 2: Importing a SketchUp Model into 3D Warehouse
SketchUp is a great application but it does not come with a lot of models. If you want to create a model of your home you will need to find a model online and import it into SketchUp. To do this follow these steps:
- Go to the 3D Warehouse website
- Search for the model you want to import
- Download the model by clicking the green download button
- Once the model has downloaded on your computer double click it and it will open in SketchUp
Step 3: Changing the View
To change the view of your model hold down the "Command" key on a Mac or the "Ctrl" key on a PC. While you are holding down the button click on the model to select it. This will allow you to rotate, move, and zoom in on your model.
Step 4: Adding a Camera
If you want to be able to look at your model from a different angle you can add a camera. To do this follow these steps:
- Click on the toolbar
- Find the camera icon
- Click on the model
- Tap the "Add Camera" button
- Click on the "Show Camera" button to make the camera visible on the screen
Step 5: Saving Your Model
SketchUp allows you to save your model in the form of an .skp file. If you are using a Mac you can save your file by clicking on the "File" menu followed by the "Save" option.
If you are using a PC you can save your file by clicking on the "File" menu followed by the "Save" option. If you are saving the file for the first time you will be prompted to name your file.
Step 6: Exporting Your Model to Google Earth
The SketchUp application allows you to export your model to Google Earth. To do this follow these steps:
- Click on the toolbar
- Click on the "File" menu
- Click on the "Export" option
- Select the "Google Earth" option
- Name your file and select where you would like to save it